- The Coronavirus,
- The injustice and recent murders in our country,
- The riots and looting.
- That overall feeling of uncertainty.
There is a feeling of powerlessness and grief that our country and our world has lost so much right now.
- We overeat,
- We overspend,
- We use drugs and alcohol to dull the pain we refuse to feel.
Once we acknowledge our behavior and admit we are doing it, we can begin to change. Grief is not an easy emotion. It can threaten to overwhelm us and can take our breath away. If we stay with the emotion, and let ourselves go through the process of sorrow, it will eventually pass. Truth be told, dealing with grief is not a comfortable process at all but can be so very healing.
- Open ourselves up to it
- Explore where it comes from
- Nurture ourselves through the process
- Reach out for help if necessary
- Honor the process
- If you see injustice, you are obligated to work for equality
- If you see brokenness, you must help bring wholeness
- If you see hunger, you can work to end or alleviate it